Are Egyptian in Gulf area happy about what happened in Egypt?

Winds of change start hitting the middle East, starting from Tunisia, passing by Egypt, and no one knows where or when it ends. As an Egyptian, I'd like to speak about the situation in Egypt, but as a resident in Kuwait, I'll concentrate on the Egyptian reactions here, telling a situation happened for me couple days ago, when I went to finish some procedure about my residency here. It was 8 A.M when I give the application to the employee who was an Egyptian, so I run the following conversation:
I: Good morning.
The employee: Good morning.
I: Congratulation.
The employee: About what?
I: About what happened in Egypt? About the freedom which all of us have been having.
The employee: Yes Sir, but we don't know what will happen next? And who will come to the presidency?
I: No matter who will come, it won't be worst that Mubarak.
The employee: But it wasn't a good way to resign and he promised he wouldn't run himself for election again.
I: But, Didn't you hear about what wealth he has? Although two-thirds of the Egyptians are under the poverty line.
The employee: However, he had promised, he would leave.
I: You know it's obviously that I, you and many others came here because of him.
The employee: However, he had promised, he would leave.
I: What about thousand of prisoners who were tortured during his reign.
The employee: However, he had promised, he would leave.
And whatever I spoke to him, he kept repeating this sentence, "however, he had promised, he would leave", as if he has psychological state.
The problem is, this wasn't an individual case, when I watch T.V or read the news, I find all Egyptians all over the world are happy, but here in Kuwait, and I dare to say in all the Gulf area, most of Egyptian are whether sad or at least careless.
One of the most things that tease me is to listen to someone who says, we should have respected him and let him complete his period.
But if Mubarak didn't respect us, why on the Earth we should respect him, and is this a right way to let him govern us because he is an old man?
Even if he is a good man and have no mistake, but governing us for thirty years by forgery, I think it's an enough reason to drive him out of the power.

Comments

It does sound a bit like an old phonograph record that's gotten stuck and just kept playing the same line over and over. Was he maybe afraid of spies or something? He was working in some sort of Kuwaiti government office, I take it? Or afraid if he expressed an opinion his job might be in jeopardy? That would account for such a response. It IS still pretty much up in the air still, and there are people who might be worse than Mubarak. Look at Hitler, Stalin and Mao, or Pol Pot, or even Idi Amin, for some of the less than stellar human beings that have appeared. I'd HATE to see that happen. Then there are the Ahmadinejabs too, which would definitely be bad Or the Gaddafis in Libya. At least Mubarak didn't slaughter the people for protesting, the way seems to be happening in some of the other places, albeit not for lack of trying; I guess it's really the Egyptian military commanders to be thanked for choosing the people ahead of him. But the whole region is still up in the air.

Popular posts from this blog

Douglas Adams